Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Flu Shot "Blues"

So: I was bitching off to a couple of pals about how 'absolutely delighted' I was to find out that my health insurance, a major carrier, no longer covers the cost of flu shots at the standard flu shot hangouts like CVS, Walgreens, Minute Clinics, etc.

They do cover the cost IF you go to your primary care doctor- BUT with their changes they made last year, I don't have the yearly 2 free check ups, and I haven't made my deductible which is now $1,400 (not long ago it was $500).
I am grateful that this year I have not surpassed my deductible in medical bills, yet I am not going to pay $130 to a doctor to get a 'free' flu shot, and a doc-in-da-box would charge $50 with my insurance.
Soooo, the best I could do was pay the entire cost of the flu shot at CVS which was $39.99, but you get a $5.00 off of $20.00 coupon and that just makes it all better. *cough*
I scratched around the internet to find that Costco offering the flu shot for $19.99, I filled out the online appointment form and ran over there like I was out of Kirkland's sea-salt dark chocolate.
The folks were very nice and I told the clerk why I was there and she nodded her head saying, "We've had so many come in with that insurance and have to explain why it's no longer free. It's so sad."
She told me that folks do not need a Costco membership to get the flu shot, however the price is $24.99 if you don't have a membership, $19.99 if you do. (I'm no 'mathematic' but that's still $15 bucks cheaper and better than a $5.00 off coupon)
Pals-
If you are like me and considering getting a flu shot but don't have proper health insurance coverage, please look into Costco. *And pick me up some sea salt dark chocolate while you're there.
THANKS!
Love and well-health wishes from Ello

No comments:

Post a Comment